- Review the rules and guidelines.
- Review the awards categories.
- Review judging criteria and the YouTube video (Click HERE) of the 2018 contestants and winners. Ask: Why did the top three teams win? Thoroughly evaluate the pitches in order to understand the idea process and correct pitch procedure.
- A successful pitch will not happen without good teamwork. Spend time developing teamwork and collaboration within your group. For example:
- Choosing a team – is it better to have diversity or people of like minds?
- Once you have a team – what are the rules that you all agree on, who is going to do what and when?
- Set out a timeline to follow. Be sure to reference the competition timeline!
- Look at the Powerpoint Guidelines. Each slide is an opportunity to do research. You need to become the expert on your idea.
- Work on presentation skills. What does a professional pitch look and sound like? See this short video for some basic presentation advice: Presentation do’s and don’ts
Coming up with an idea:
- Solve a problem!
- Spend a day doing some brainstorming exercises on what problems and opportunities you see in your community. Examples:
- Health concerns such as substance abuse and obesity
- Land and water pollution such as overflowing landfills
- Availability of transportation for import/export business
- Timber and Forestry Products
- After making the list, brainstorm on possible solutions.
- Innovation is the key! Please do not enter the competition with an idea for opening a new franchise.
- Review the pitch contest from last year on YouTube.